Something I Enjoy About Having Kids (Break from politics etc.)


posted by sooyup

No comments

You know, I've got two kids - and while kids are exceptionally demanding and tiring there are some benefits to having them.

One of them that I particularly enjoy is that they force me to see things in the world I've either forgotten or would otherwise miss.

For example, why just walk out to the car to go to work?  Did you know that the ten second walk to your car can actually take a good twenty minutes if done properly?  And that in the 50 feet between your front door and your car there is more nature and bugs and interesting dirt to be found than you've probably paid attention to in the last twenty years of your life? 

Other things I enjoy?  Their world is simpler.  And so the things they enjoy are simpler.  TV.  Music.  Stories. 

It's actually all a break.

I probably wouldn't watch Disney as much as I do were it not for them.  But instead, my house is full of Disney music and just a bunch of things I wouldn't see otherwise.

I know the day will come when my house is clean, sterile....empty.  For now piles of laundry, half finished art projects, cracker crumbs and kids toys grace everywhere I look.  The day will come when I will miss them.

For now, I get to appear like a genius on everything my kids ask me because they believe dad knows everything.  At this point they stump me ocassionally - not because I don't know the answer but I don't know how to explain it in a way they will understand.

So my 4 year old daughter already has to go to bed with the stereo on and her own style of music.  I enjoy it - I wouldn't have gotten to hear it otherwise.

For now - kids are a great break from all the other nonsense in this world.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...