Concealed Handgun Licenses and the police


posted by sooyup on ,

No comments

I got pulled over again the other day for "exceeding the posted speed limit."  At any rate, in Oregon, I'm not required to show my Concealed Handgun License (CHL) to a police officer, nor declare that I'm carrying, but I do.  As a courtesy to an officer from a former officer, I hand it to them. 

I was pegged for 10 over (it is Oregon y'all - I don't know what its like anywhere else but 10 over can get you pulled over - that's okay - I've pulled people over for 7 over.) and then for being on my cell-phone, no proof of registration (other than my tags) and only a bill showing insurance on my van.....and a CHL.

"Are you armed?"

"Yes sir, I have a handgun under my seat."

"Please don't make any sudden movements."

I keep my hands on the wheel just like I tried to get people to do for a felony stop.  He asked for registration and I told him I needed to get in the glove box and I reached over while he put his hand on his Glock as I reached.  I told him I used to hate standing where he was. 

"You were a cop?"

"Yes, sir."

"Where at?"

I had one of my Navy hats on and I pointed to it, "Guantanamo was my first assignment."

Police don't like talking to you while you have a gun in the car.

I was informed it was my lucky day and that he was just establishing presence there and was told to go on my way - they don't even look at my stuff - just tell me to go.

If you have the CHL - they already know you're not a felon because you have to pass an FBI check to have one (unless you committed a felony since getting it and they haven't taken it back yet). 

Anyways - getting a ticket would have just been the frosting on the cake for me at this point.....but thank Heavens I didn't get one.  Now, I'll just trust in God to help me with some other things that are bugging me that are completely out of my control in my life.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...