Family Values


posted by sooyup

No comments

So I have these cousins who were born in the village. Their parents brought them back to Lagos when they were 6, 5 and 3, and they've been living in Lagos since then but the irony of it all is that these cousins of mine can neither speak Igbo which is their native language nor the Yoruba language, where they grew up. All they can speak is English...weird right? Considering that they were born in their village.

My sisters and I were all born in Lagos, and we hardly visit the village, but we speak Igbo fluently because that was the language our parents spoke with us...we have never conversed in English with my parents.

So my question is this: those of you who live abroad and have started a family, how do you ensure that your children understand and can speak their native language?

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...