One thing led to another......Bike Trip


posted by sooyup

No comments

I absolutely HATE running.  I'm a biker.  I used to ride 100+ miles in a day just for the heck of it and no I'm not exaggerating.  My best ride was from Oregon City to Lincoln City with a night campout up by Trask Lake and then a few days at the coast and ending in McMinnville.  But because I was loaded with camping gear, rode solo to carry all my own stuff with no help, and I crested the coast range at about 3,000 feet on the route I took I only did ~60 miles the first day.  I learned the importance of nutrition on that trip.

Normally I rest on the Sabbath rather than recreate, however, having been under pressure at work, my wife is sick and having two kids driving me up a wall I decided to go reflect on God's creation.

I haven't really ridden a bike for a long time since I found the freedom of a car and a motorcycle, but back on a bike there's so many places a car CANT take you that I'd forgotten about.  You just see more scenery and a lot more detail in life on the ride.

I was going to go for a bike ride around Hood River just because I've never ridden there, but decided to stay closer to home and just hit the Columbia River up by the airport.

This is my current getup.   It's not top of the line but usually my stuff isn't because I don't really need it to be.  With the two kidlets in the back I think I was pulling around 100 pounds behind me.  THEN I found out they were dragging their feet on the ground through the floor for the first 8 miles + uphill across the bridge....I was severely annoyed.  


I hadn't intended to go so far, it was a 15 mile round trip which is considerable towing a bike trailer with a straight 2.5 mile stretch up an incline with a headwind crossing the Columbia. Just, it started, "let's head to the beach", then "to the bridge", then "on the bridge", then "to the border", then "to another state"....and yeah....now I'm beat.


I snapped most of these while I was riding with my kids riding in the bike carrier behind me.



This is crossing back from Washington just to prove I made it out of state....this is on I-205 headed south (obviously its south because I'm headed from Washington into Oregon - unless Magic Unicorn Rainbow Obamaland changed the compass directions as well while he was in office or CNN got to the map and put Oregon next to something else like Hawaii)

 
This right here is actually photographic proof of one of the dumber things I've done in life.  The bike path was not the smoothest thing in the world, the bridge was bouncing from traffic, there were wind gusts racing as they do through the Columbia Gorge over the bridge, and there is a spring hinge on the bike trailer wich makes it undulate as it goes over the not-so smooth terrain and I'm holding on with one hand snapping photos with a cell phone.  I hit 25mph at one point.  It's not that fast but when you're trying to manage a bike carrier with wind gusts on a not-so-smooth-surface it's plenty fast and about the fastest I wanted to go.   Fastest I've personally been on a bike was ~68mph on a really sweet downhill stretch wearing spandext and all decked out and tucked in (uphill both ways in the snow against a headwind with a flat tire and two broken legs while carrying firewood).  I did go head to head with some yahoo who had to ride side-by-side with his friend comeing at me and I thought he wasn't going to get out of the way fast enough and I was about to take all three of us out because I couldn't stop very fast with the trailer behind me. 


Under the Interstate looking south into the Columbia with the bike path on the right.....I just thought this looked cool.....



A guy came up in a handmade boat and beached while he carried his oars up to his car waiting for him.  I just thought it looked cool. My dream is to have my own boat someday.


A view of the interstate headed up to Washington....it was NOISY.  I'm used to noise and this was severely annoying even me.


Anyways, I hope I lose some more weight from this if anything.  My goal is to fit back into my navy uniform by next year.  Seeings how I may end up joining the military again when I start working on my Ph.D. and become an officer to pay for the rest of my schooling, fitting in a uniform would be a good thing.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...