Lesson in civics....


posted by sooyup on

No comments

Some kids running a lemonade stand were fined $500 for running an ILLEGAL lemonade stand outside a golf course......LITTLE KIDS!

That'll teach ya a lesson about your country and a lesson in capitalism that you won't forget from an early age.

The part that bothers me is, that the county simply rescinded the citation.  That's it.  We decided not to fine you.

We're going to fine you!  Oh wait, this makes us look unpopular, we're not going to.  Never mind. 

Its all too easy. I'd like it if I could just waive stuff I am legally obligated to with my magic-fairy wand like that....just, too many things that can go wrong with this that I can think of.

Given that a minor cannot enter into a contract and would have to receive any legal penalties as a juvenile, I don't know that the ticket would be legal in the first place. The astute observations of Isabella hit the mark:

The kids were, naturally, confused. Thirteen-year-old Isabella, who was tasked with watching over the younger kids selling the drinks, said, “I just think the whole thing was kind of insane that they made such a big deal about a small problem. In the first place, I don’t know how a 10-year-old could get a permit.”

Yah know, one of the things I learned as a police officer is there's the spirit of the law and then there's the letter of the law.

We have laws on the books that shouldn't even be enforced like, in Oregon you can't bathe without a swimsuit for example.  I don't see tickets being handed out for that one!  But, the administrators of the law need a bit of discretion and "common sense" when working in their job. 


Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...