My Story: How I was physically assaulted by policemen


posted by sooyup

No comments

 
A LIB reader (who wants to stay anonymous until the case is over) wants to share her story with you all. Below is an unedited email she sent to me about her ordeal in the hands of some police men in Port Harcourt yesterday, June 1, 2011.
The picture doesn't say much, just my palms bleeding. It happened at about 5.25pm along choba rumuokoro road. I was in a cab and a policeman stopped us as usual to collectN50, which the driver willingly gave him and asked dat he got the evening number. The policeman refused and said he would give him the afternoon number,just imagine,they kept on and on and so i signaled to the policeman to save our time, that he wasn't only delaying the driver but all the passengers and that became my offense.
 

Her bruised laps
He started raining abuses which i laughed at and told him its N2O that is his problem. He walked away from the drivers side came over my side,kept on ranting and just slapped ♏ε̲̣. I immediately dropped down from the cab and slapped him back. He held ♏ε̲̣ on both wrists and was dragging ♏ε̲̣ away from the taxi,i kept on hitting his hands to let go. Good enough, i had a pen in my right hand and with it i was hitting his hand severally. He sustained injuries(well o)on his hands and then let go. I scared him by saying U̶̲̥̅̊ don't mess with just anyone and drew out my I.D which i showed him. As at that point,he got scared and mellowed,a crowd had gathered and i was asked to get in the car and drive on.

Unfortunately for ♏ε̲̣, we were parked in front of choba police station,so 3 ladies on muffti(policewomen not on duty) walked on and wen they saw his wrist bleeding, they rushed at ♏ε̲̣. One lady now slapped ♏ε̲̣ severally,kicked ♏ε̲̣ and i was taken into the station to write a statement. The same policeman who was sober now arose to the occasion and started cursing and threatening. After writing, a detention form was filled for my arrest and then i got scared. It was just my word aginst them, here i was crying and in a police station, i wasn't even allowed to use my phone, they went thru my phone to make sure i hadn't any pic of the policeman. 
Then, my options came, that i should go on my knees and apologize or be taken behind the counter. Luckily, the driver hadn't left, knowing the area more than i do and knowing what these people are capable of, he came in and joined in the begging. As at this time, the time was like 7.30pm, and so the begging,appealing, cajoling started. Imagine saying sorry to someone, when deep down you really want to squeeze his neck and make him realise how wicked they are. After the era of begging, that i had to pay for his medical bills, i told him to come over to my coy's hospital but he refused and said they wanted N5000. When i said i didn't have that amount, they were already dragging ♏ε̲̣ in. So i got 3k and the cab-guy got 2k and we gave them. It was at about 8.30 - 9pm now. They said they weren't going to collect the money except i sign an undertaking. I signed that i wld not take the case beyond that point and was released.

This morning, I've reported the case to my office,so I and the chief security officer are on our way to the office of the PRO of the police department, Rivers state. i would lay my complaints there first,then would let you know how it unfolds. Thanks for your help, will keep you all posted

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...