We weren't promised tomorrow....Today is "The Present"


posted by sooyup on , ,

No comments

My eyes have grown accustomed to the darkness of the valley of sorrow.  I find I am able to see better than I used to be able to. I think I'm not tripping on things in the darkness like I used to.......so long as the kids pick up their marbles off the floor.

I will however, thank God that I can feel such things. 

In my younger years I was as cocky as they come, the difference being that I could back it up - or I knew which fights to pick because I knew what I was capable of.  I even squared off in the street against my military police watch commander after a hostage situation that came out with us on top and me looking like king-cock, him yelling at me in the street "You're not that good.  You ain't all that!" and me replying, "Oh yeah, wanna find out?  You go first, bring it on." I thought for sure we were getting ready to have a full blown shootout in the middle of a street on a navy base  with my hand ready to cover my .45 and we stared at each other and faced off for what seemed like I don't know how long with a smirk on my face just daring him to do it.  (I shake my head to think of what I used to be like with a wry smile).

Now, time and tribulations seem to have taken the edge off me and the only thing I feel I can brag about anymore is "I'm still here." 

I smile in a way at the young couples I see who are all doe-eyed at each other and who can't say it enough to each other "I love you!" or the types who run into a room, spinning with glee "I'm in love and I don't care who knows!"  I smile only because I wish them the best, but I also know what life can bring and from experience how unpredictable and devastating it can be.  I hope they have what it takes to make it through whatever life throws their way.  That's when you truly find out what love is....or isn't.  I found that out after only 18 months of marriage. 

If your children ever drive you nuts, all it takes is a loss to make you realize just how fortunate you are to have them around still.  Their annoying noises?  The piled up dishes?  The food in the couch?  The fighting?  Will all be gone all too soon and someday will only be memories and you will miss it.  Enjoy them.  Tell them you're sorry.  Show them that just because you're "bigger" doesn't give you the right to "be mean" and that even their feelings are important.  Give them a hug.  Lie on the floor and let them crawl on you.  Make up stupid knock knock jokes with them.  Jump on the bed with them.  Have a pillow fight.  Just be grateful you have them. 

Come to think of it, I think I'm going to be silly with them, I'm going to go move their stuff into each others rooms just to be obnoxious and because I can and to make them go "DAAAAaaaaAAAAAD!"


We weren't promised tomorrow. 

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...