Wood Working: DIME HOCKEY! (And Rules)


posted by sooyup on

No comments

Dime Hockey Table
Today, thanks to a friend's post on facebook, I remembered the game of DIME HOCKEY from middle school, and decided to build my own table today.

I really just threw it together really fast, it was just thrown together from
scrap wood I got from a woodworking shop, it was Brazilian Cherry Wood. 

Anyways, in dime hockey, you flip the coin to see who goes first, winner gets to put the dime on the center peg and flicks it off.  Turns alternate with one flick each trying to get the coin in the opponent's goal (the hole at either end).  If the coin goes out of bounds, its set on the edge where it went out and the other player flicks it back into the table.  First person to sink the coin in the hole WINS!

I also have been commissioned to build a second baby bassinet.  I'm building a minor variation on this one with handles on it and a reversible diaper/bottle holder.  This is as far as I got today with the handles cut into the wood.  That's a LOT of work to do the routing to get those three pieces of wood to join together like one, pinned and dovetailed with the tolerances so that its structurally sound and won't fall apart on the first use. Anyways, that the first three pieces pinned and dovetailed together with the handles cut into it - complete with markings all over the wood where I measure everything. 

I did do a genius piece of work yesterday.  I set my circular saw down with the blade guard back somehow, and set it right on its own cord and cut it in half...........................yah, nice. 

While funny, its not funny. 

No really, it's not. 

Amusing? Maybe.
Funny? No...not really. 

Could I get some electrical tape and electrical connectors and repair it?  Yes. 

Am I going to? HELL NO! 

I fricking HATE working with electricity.  I hate it, ya'll.   I've blown up vacume cleaners, gotten fingers caught in light sockets, shocked myself on electric train sets, seen car batteries explode....I hate working with electricity.  No.  This required a trip to home depot for a new saw.  They were selling a Ryobi saw for $39, not bad, but for $10 more I could get one with a laser sight that allows me to cut a straight line by lighting up the laser and lining it up on my lines.  For an extra $20 I could have gotten an LED lamp on it as well, but I don't know why I'd be cutting in the dark and need a lamp on it.  So I just got the laser light. So far, its a bit heavy, and kinda loud compared to my other saw, but I really like the laser, it really helps and its doing a great job!  You can see the work its done for me so far.

I was thinking maybe dime-hockey tables might be a fun summer project to build and sell.  

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...