And....presto!....magic just happened.....


posted by sooyup on ,

No comments

The best part about being a dad is getting to be Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and just an all around superman to my kids.  I used to hate having to get up in the middle of the night for their crying.  Now.....its the best feeling in the world when they are tired and they are comforted by me as I hold them in their arms.  I wouldn't trade it for anything.  I thank my wife for her patience with me and believing I could learn to be a dad.  Now?  I wouldn't miss it for the world. 

My son lost his tooth from running into a fricking pole at the Nez Perce Interpretive Center in Wallowa Oregon earlier this week - and has been wondering why the lousy tooth fairy hasn't come yet.  Every morning, Rachel asks if she came first thing as she wakes up: "Did the tooth fairy come??!" (She hasn't lost a tooth yet, so watching him lose his and get stuff for it is pretty fascinating).

"No."

(Me in my head as I wake up "SON OF A BREADBASKET!!!  D*#$@#! I FORGOT AGAIN!  #!$!!@!)

"Did you have it out?"

"...yes..."

"Maybe it needs to actually be under the pillow...."

"I'll try that."

Anyways, the tooth fairy just came.

As I placed the gold dollar on his nightstand, for just a moment, I could actually feel the magic in his world that comes when I'm a dad to him. I actually felt it and I almost thought I heard something like...angelic singing from another world....as I put it down.   I paused for a moment.  I actually did feel something and hear something....

He won't know it's me being a dad.  To him it will just be a bit of unseen magic.  But it will be wonderful to him.  

Just like it was to me when I was little and the Easter Bunny or Tooth Fairy or Santa came.

But....to us, isn't that what magic really is?  I mean, even God see's everything - yet to us - when he puts a miracle in our hands, we don't see all the work that went into making it happen - yet its very much a magical miracle to us in this world of turmoil and tumult.

I thank God for miracles.  Even if I am the miracle to others - especially my family and loved ones.  In this world of tears and sorrow - a bit of magic or a miracle of sorts - is an amazing thing at times that can lift spirits and mend hearts.  In a world that is so tight-fisted and ungiving, someone willing to share or make or do something special....really is a miracle and magical.   It is what makes Heaven what and where it is and its a bit of Heaven here when it happens.

 I also thank God that I get to be a dad.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...