Belguim to Ban the Burqa


posted by sooyup

1 comment

Belguim Bans Burqas:

I have mixed feelings on this one.  Belguim is not the U.S. The  U.S. has different attitudes towards other religions.  I doubt we'll see this here.  HOWEVER,


Personally I find the Burqa disruptive to American culture and the religion and attitude behind it disruptive.  The message I get from it is: I'm better than you, you're going to hell, anyone who sees me is not worthy, you have to look on this black monstrousity, you are all going to hell for not being dressed similarly, everyone should be dressed this way.   In our culture of tolerance, the burqa seems to take tolerance and set up barriers and to divide.


The Burqa is more common to Saudi Arabia.  Most muslim countries do not wear them.  The women may wear the scarf instead.

However, I have problems with Islam in general where it takes over with sharia law and seeks to live among society but hold its self separate from society and seems disruptive to society.

But the problem I have with this law is it crimps on religious freedom as well.  This happens to one religion it can happen to all religions.  Catholic priests won't be allowed in public.  Clergy from other religions, bhuddist monks.....where does it stop?  A step on freedom anyhwere is a threat to freedom everywhere.

Not sure what to conclude on this.

1 comment

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...