Ignorance is bliss...or is it?


posted by sooyup

No comments

I came home a bit late yesterday. I usually don't shower at night (always too tired or lazy), but I did it last night 'cos I was feeling a little sticky.

Ok, I think you guys need to know that from 6 pm till about 12 midnight, there's never power in my part of Surulere. We all rely on generator.

The generator in my house isn't powerful enough to carry all the electrical appliances in it. So usually when I take my bath at night, I don't turn on the light in the bathroom. I (think) know where everything is...

So I got into the shower, turned on the water and started scrubbing off. In darkness! (Don't imitate...lol)

When I first turned on the water, it had a funny smell and was more warm than usual but I thought nothing of it and went straight to business. I was showering leisurely, singing, playing music from my phone and just enjoying the feel of warm water on my body...

This water touched every part of my body. My eyes, my mouth, my...you know...everything. I even swallowed some of it...then....

...They restored power...

And Linda literarily ran out of the bathroom, screaming, when she saw the water running from the shower...

My dad came out to check what was going on and I told him...he laughed for a few seconds and said the water had been brownish and dirty all day and he had advised everyone not to use it...

Yeah well, no one told me.

The first few minutes wasn't funny as I went around looking for clean water to wash away the stink, the colouring, the dirt! I couldn't believe I'd swallowed that water and I'd used it so leisurely not knowing what I know now...

Lying in my bed later, I started laughing. Isn't life funny? The things we do when we lack knowledge...when we don't really know...how free, happy and content we are in our own ignorance. They say what you don't know won't kill you!

You're dating a guy and everytime you call him, his phone is switched off. When he calls you back he gives one story or the other and you totally believe him. Not knowing! Or your husband tells you a certain someone is just a colleague and you embrace her thinking thats the truth. Not knowing! Or someone claims to have your back while plotting your downfall and you open up yourself to them. Not knowing!.

But then one day you KNOW and you can't believe how ignorant (foolish) you've been. How blissful it is to be ignorant...how dangerously we live in it. Walking leisurely into a lions den not knowing what it really is until you're rescued out of there and you can't believe how close you came...

But when we really think about it, it's not that hard to know the truth if we really want to know. When I first got into the shower and perceived the smell, I could have gone looking for some light to check the water out...but I didn't! I'm used to the water clean, so what could go wrong on this particular night? I figured!

You know what they say about disillusion? It comes only to the illusioned. You cannot be disillusioned about something if you didn't put faith in it in the first place. If I'd had a previous experience with the water, maybe I wouldn't have been so quick to jump to the conclusion that there was nothing wrong with it on this particular night.

A few minutes of deep thinking is enough to find out the truth, but for some of us, thinking is tedious and a few minutes is a long time...so we are content with our knowledge, which is usually what we think we know, but really don't know.

When you also think of your own ignorant act, what's your excuse? Do we deliberately choose NOT to know! Do we always admire what we really don't understand? Is it that we don't know because we don't want to know? Or do we really know and pretend not to know? Or maybe we choose not to acknowledge the truth? Or is it that we are just sometimes stupid?

Do we delirately embrace ignorance? When we are not sure, it makes life easier for us? Is ignorance really innocence?

Someone said "Ignorance is the necessary condition of life itself. If we knew everything, we could not endure existence for a single hour."

So ignorance is bliss...but wouldn't you rather know?

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...