WAAAM Trip! (Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum)


posted by sooyup on , , , , ,

No comments

Went with the wife & kidlets to Hood River, Oregon to go see the WAAM (Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum) Link here: http://www.waaamuseum.org/

It was a pretty impressive collection of cars and aircraft!  If I was going to give a critique of the museum - well - everything in there does fly or drive - but - with all these exotic and rare vehicles, having a plaque telling you fun facts about them would have pretty much rounded it out for me.

For example, is this a little known fact?  I don't know - either way - I do now you won't find automobiles in the US produced between 1943 and 1945 because there weren't any manufactured that weren't for wartime use because all automobile industry plants were commandeered by the US Government for war materials manufacturing.  (Yes, WWII started December of 1941 for the US, but in December of 1941 you're going to have your 1942 models out and there were a couple 1941 and 1942 models of vehicles there).

Anyways, I don't know much about a Franklin Automobile - or even a Packard - or why they aren't around or the features of said vehicle.  Mostly I know I was looking at some really exotic cars - but beyond that and the restorative efforts - I didn't know a whole lot.  I *DID* however see *the* hot rod from "American Graffiti" in there (I put a picture in here).

As far as the aircraft go - they had some unique makes and models but - again - more info would be needed.  I'm an aviation enthusiast and know aircraft inside and out until you get to some "odd-ball production-number:8" type variant and I can usually tell what they were working on in terms of development but still.....anyways, here's some pictures - they are all clickable-onable so you can embiggen them (if you like or dare!)


1909 Franklin model D

American Graffiti Hot Rod

And again...

1928 Boeing Model 40C

1929 Graham Paige Model 612

1931 Ford Model A Deluxe Phaeton

1935 Packard Model E-12 Coupe Convertible

1939 Packard Model 626 Sport Coupe (Why do I think that's labeled wrong? 1939? This??? Okay - I'll leave it)

1966 Super Performance MKIII Cobra

A view of some aircraft in the museum

a line of cars

Inside a home-made-submarine in the kiddie section - I actually managed to squeeze my rear end into this thing
Outside of the sub....

 Here's some scenery from the road trip back - I enjoy photographing tunnels because my grandfather was an Italian Stonesmason and worked on many of the bridges and tunnels and other Architecture in the Portland Area.
On SR 14 with train and vehicle next to each other.


The other side from way too far away

Fantastic picture of the Eiffel Tower as you walk into the Men's Room in Wal Mart....I had no idea Wal Mart was so upscale....going to the bathroom was such a....regal experience after seeing that after I walked in.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...