Woodworking!


posted by sooyup on

No comments

Design she gave me
I'm building a crib for my baby that's on the way. 

My wife gave me a design she saw that slides under the edge of the mattress so she can care for it in bed without having to get up.

So anyways, a bunch of money for some tools later, it is actually coming together.

I've never used a router before but I am fairly adept at woodworking but not the finer points of it, I decided to pick it up.  So, now I have a router and a pretty nice router bit set, I got some fine woodworking jig-saw blades for some fine work and I got a fine woodworking blade for my circular saw and away we go!  Those saw blades really do make a difference though!  Whoo!  Tools are an investment if you're at all a handyman - or just a man in general, lol. (Secretly they are toys, but don't tell my wife that! I really can get lost in Home Depot.)

I'm not building exactly what's seen here, but a variant of it.  I have an ability to see it in my mind and then build something without plans and make it work, useful skill to have.  Much of that is experience, which comes from....yah....making mistakes.

So today, I started the base part that slides under the mattress and even created my own "dovetail" joint for the two boards to make one flat board for the base of it.

So, here's a few pics taken of my work from my cellphone in the kitchen of my apartment showing my work so far.(You can click and embiggen them)

My first routed and jig sawed edge before being finished and sanded, the wood is white pine with some knots in it.

My dovetail work.  I originally was going to just use dowels and butt the two pieces together, but instead I decided to create a "dovetail" (I'm not sure if it is a dovetail when they are at 90 degree angles) Since I drilled the holes for the dowels before I used the router for the dovetails it worked brilliantly.  This picture here is both planks next to each other standing up right.
Another view of them with some glue in there as well

This is the finished baseboard.  I am sanding the joint so that you can't even feel that it's two pieces of wood.  When I'm done it will be my finest craftsmanship ever. Among my talents are: woodwork, leatherwork, stained glass, some metalurgy, and I can fold a MEAN paper airplane.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...