Still like the trumpet on this....US 3 Cantaloop


posted by sooyup on

No comments

Only funny part is there's two videos, one has the trumpet player as a white guy - the other as a black guy....
Jazz is something I always struggled with on the trumpet so anyone who can make it sound good like this guy gets a thumbs up from me....

Speaking of Jazz...while I hate the racist crap of Obama and his derelicts, I did come to love the black culture that I got let into in my time in the south.  Only because I was a missionary was I even allowed in some parts of the city and came out without a body bag around me.  I learned about Big Mamma and all that stuff and who she was in every ward and so on. 

What's that got to do with Jazz?  Well...I did come to see things from the black perspective - or at least see what they see in the world today.  If you talk educated, you're not black enough, if you talk like a thug you're just a clown and never goin to go nowhere, people won't ever see past your color....or so the overwhelming view is to them. If you do get educated and talk like it - many will think you're a sellout to your race.....you just can't win!  I spent a lot of time trying to get the kids to join the military to get out of hood and gang life.  They told me so often they couldn't handle being yelled at (Seriously??? Don't get married if that's the case!) or being shot at.  I noted that..."um....bro?.....you just got shot at twice this week....but in the military....it's legal to shoot back, and they give you some sweet weapons to fight back with and they buy your ammo for you....how about it?"

But one thing they are good at is *feeling* their music.  I'd listen to the kids "flow" on the street corners and put their heart and soul into their music they'd put out in the hood.  I'd listen to the Second Line's and their gospel choirs - and when they sing - there's something in the music that's centuries old that comes out in them when they sing - or do any music.  It's very much *them* in the music - it is an outlet where they pour it out and pour it on and they are good at it.  Which is why....Jazz started I believe with the black musicians. 

But I'm wondering, as rough as it is in some ways just "being black" in some places, cases and situtations, I wonder if they would ever get to truly be themselves had their ancestors just been left off in Africa......or is it being in a world where everything seemingly tells you you don't fit in that you truly have a chance to shine....like in Music like US3? (Not saying US3 is the tormented-by-their-color-types - just making an observation).

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...