Movies I've Watched: "John Adams"


posted by sooyup

No comments

Of my personal heroes who I've admired from history and thought I perhaps had something in common with, John Adams would be my first pick.  Politically incorrect, outspoken, religiously conservative, blunt, little patience for pedanting politickary, focused more on work than recreation but an avid reader - and much much more including many of the same weaknesses, John Adams is my hero of choice not of my family.


I have REALLY enjoyed the movie.   I just finished it.  While I'm quite familiar with the history and politics of the revolutionary era, or at least much more so than the average citizen on the street to where I could hold my own in a history class on the subject, the movie brought a lot to life from the era while not overdramatizing it into something it wasn't while capturing much of what was.  In otherwords, it's not a Jerry Bruckheimer film (I love Jerry Bruckheimer's cinematography, but he's just not the man for this subject - a "what can we blow up next and how many angles can we film it from" methodology just wouldn't capture the politics or passion of the American Revolution).   I think it could have used a few more things blowing up in Jerry Bruckheimer Fashion, but then, the movie is about John Adams and his role in the Revolution, not about the revolution its self or its more bloodier aspects. 


I don't know how many people saw this, it was a mini-series and I rather enjoyed it.


Some of my passion and appreciation for the finesse and balance of the politics of the era come from my military service in my time as a Master at Arms.  Thoroughly familiar with Naval History and Protocol (as the Master at Arms is the enforcer of it) and having spent many many many hours in a military court of law, I've witnessed I-don't-know-how-many chest-beating-matches of rank and politics, between older generations and newer ones, between tradition and practicality, between status and skill, that were carried out in careful but aggressive social dances of decorum, wit and quiet insult that would appear meaningless to the untrained and unfamiliar observer, but in which turned the lives, careers and fates of those who dared to dance the dance.


If I was going to pick a favorite part from the movie, I might pick two, no three.  One when Adams sits down with the French to dinner with Ben Franklin.  Ben Franklin loved the ladies and enjoyed the French.  Adams was an ultra conservative Puritain.  The mannerisms and table discussion of the French and their penchant for love-making and discussing was WAY out of his league.  But I also found their clothing fascinating when you consider it was "normal" and high class for them.  The other would be the naval battle at sea on their trip to secure French aid, though watching someone's tibia be cut with a saw in an at-sea amputation in a sea-battle makes me ill.  I'm still absolutely convinced nothing but divine intervention could have won that war for the U.S. against Britain including the naval battle.  And lastly, when Adams, the principal agitator for American Independence gets chosen to be the plenipotentiary to England to meet King George and represents the United States of America to their last king.  THATS a classic and much like what I became used to being around in the Navy.


Anyways, if you haven't seen it, I won't ruin it further, except to tell you the U.S. did win the war.


Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...