Worst conversation


posted by sooyup

No comments

This is the worst conversation I have ever had in my life.

Time: 2:17 pm
Date: Thursday 11th January 2007
My phone rings...I pick it up

Linda 'Hello?'
Caller "Linda how are you? It's Mrs Adewunmi"
Linda "Hey Mrs Adewunmi, nice to hear from you, how are you?"
Caller "I'm fine. Have you heard about Kayode?"
Linda "Kayode? I spoke to him on Sunday. Why? What is it?"
Caller pauses for a few seconds, then says "Kayode passed on yesterday"
I stop breathing for a few seconds. Then I ask "What happened?"
Caller "He had an Asthma attack and didn't survive it"

The phone dropped from my hands as my whole body shook uncontrollably. I cried like I'd never cried before.

Kayode Fayemi was a journalist. Married with 5 little girls. His first daughter was just 8 years old, his last daughter just 7 weeks old.

Kayode was my publicist, confidant and best friend. Someone I knew for seven years, someone I spoke to on Sunday January 7th, someone I'd been planning to see on Saturday January 13th but he died Wednesday January 10th.

He was asthmatic, had an attack in the office, tried to use his inhaler but it didn't work. No one around him could administer CPR. He died on his way to the hospital after not being able to breath for several minutes. His wife later found out that he went to the office with the wrong inhaler...

So what's your worst conversation? Do share it with us!

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...